Paul Pogba has decided to undergo surgery on his knee as he faces a battle to be fit for this winter’s World Cup.
The midfielder tore his meniscus shortly after returning to Juventus this summer, though initially opted not to have it operated on and instead sought out alternative treatments.
Pogba returned to training on grass on Monday, but it’s now being widely reported that he failed a fitness test and has now decided to finally undergo surgery – a setback likely to keep him out for around two months.
France’s defence of the World Cup kicks off on November 22 against Australia, leaving Pogba very little time to prove his fitness before the tournament in Qatar.
Related World Cup content
Speaking to the press after Pogba’s decision, Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri expected Pogba to miss at least five weeks of action before he moves onto the next stage of his recovery.
“I am not a medic, so I don’t know what is best, I just trust what I am told. There will be these five weeks of treatment and then we hope to have him back as soon as possible,” Allegri said.
Pogba completed his return to Juve from Manchester United on a free transfer (again) over the summer, and the Bianconeri have sorely missed him so far this season. Juventus have looked dismal in their current guise, winning two and drawing three of their opening five matches.